A “structured conversation” for developing higher quality performance.
“A solution-oriented relationship within which the coach empowers the client to actualise their full potential.”
- A collection of models designed to show a coach what to do when and why?
- A developing professional field in its own right, that works alongside the other disciplines for enhancing learning and growth.
- A proven process for developing human potential and enhancing performance
It explores: How we think and act
Emotions, Perceptions, Meanings, Understandings, Beliefs, Values,Behaviours, Activities, Choices, Decisions, Connections and structures
It works: When a coach asks key questions
Validating, challenging, cheerleading, probing, provoking, awakening, co-creating, actualising, reinforcing & testing
Broadly speaking, the CIPD defines coaching as developing a person’s skills and knowledge so that their job performance improves, hopefully leading to the achievement of organisational objectives. It targets high performance and improvement at work, although it may also have an impact on an individual’s private life.
Though it may also have an impact on an individual’s private life. It usually lasts for a short period and focuses on specific skills and goals.
Although there is a lack of agreement among coaching professionals about precise definitions, these are some generally agreed characteristics of coaching in organisations:
- It is essentially a non-directive form of development.
- It focuses on improving performance and developing individuals’ skills.
- Personal issues may be discussed but the emphasis is on performance at work.
- Coaching activities have both organisational and individual goals.
- It assumes that the individual is psychologically well and does not require a clinical intervention.
- It provides people with feedback on both their strengths and their weaknesses.
- It is a skilled activity which should be delivered by trained people.
This is what coaching is but so what .
What does it do ? It enables , it challenges , it helps people to achieve more with less effort than maybe the case. People will achieve their targets , goals and so on better with coaching .
It isn't a quick fix , it doesnt suit everyone and the person being coached has to be ready to be change and to accept change . When someone is ready to be coached the change can be rapid , can be slower , but change will come .