1. Define your target market. In terms of company type , size , geography , what they do or make ?What does your ideal customer look like? What is your perfect match? The targets can be defined in many ways but it is important to have yours sorted out.
2. Work out how you are going to approach these companies or how they are going to search for you. Consider all avenues; social media , SEO , networks and networking , direct approach . Then consider what success is and how many new clients or customers you need a year , a month . Then consider further what each new customer is going to contribute to your target earnings.
3. Know what you need to know to know about your prospects and then what you need to do to convert them into customers. You need an appreciation of what to do at each stage of the sales process and how not to give too much away before you are getting paid.
4. Underpromise and overdeliver – Tony Robbins – Never ever promise something you can’t deliver.
5. Examine the results good or not so good. What went right and can you repeat it and what went not so well and how can you convert that setback into a success.
A setback can be a customer gained who turns to not pay, cause you unnecessary work.
You are aiming to get a settled successful profitable business and so customers should fit into that profile. So ongoing feedback on your new and existing customers is important to your growth plans.
Then when you have these steps polished to your liking repeat as often as you can , but don't forget the feedback loop.